Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thoughts

I have this long list in my head of all the things I really want for my house. My house is important to me. Aesthetics are important to me. Possibly too important, I don't know.
There's this song by Jill Phillips called, God and Money, that if I had fancy computer skills would be playing while you read this. It goes something like this:

No one serves both God and money
We all know because we've tried
We've dressed up nice and poured on lots of perfume
To cover up the death on the inside

No one serves both God and money
'Cause they're both wanting the same things
Only one can have your full attention
And the heart and mind and soul that you will bring...

For the first time in my life, I have an income, and I can afford some things. Not a lot of things, mind you, but some things. Never before have I wanted so many things as I do right now. I'm a bit preoccupied with "getting". I covet a higher standard of living. I don't like it.
I've read scholarly journal articles about money and how every household feels that if they made "such and such" more money, they'd be happier. Even the richest of the richest still want more, and think that just a bit more would make life better.
I didn't think I was greedy, but I do have a lot of selfish want for things. Since moving into the "real world" of work and life, I have this gnawing inside of me to accumulate. This is very much against the type of life I desire to have.
For some reason I feel like having these things will make life better than it already is.
I find it so easy to fall into this type of thinking. I live in the richest neighborhood in Seattle. When I walk around I see the most beautiful homes I've ever seen. Something inside of me wants the same: A big beautiful house that's really well designed on the inside.
Not that I can blame Seattle for my heart-issue, but living in the city puts the immediate availability of any possession at my fingertips, and the best of any "thing" at that.

I want an attitude of Jesus being enough to satisfy my life. I don't want my identity to be rooted in my own abilities and achievements.


Steep yourself in God: what is real, what His desires are, what He wants to give. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. God wants good things for you. Luke 12:30-32

5 comments:

TaraB said...

You have a good heart Tyler Henry. I wish I was there so we could discuss these things in person. Maybe that day isn't as far off as we think though...

Timari said...

I hear ya, Brother! I've been wrestling with similar but with a twist - I want, I want... and if I don't get 'it' then I am not in control of my life and I don't like it. I look forward to more talking over Thanksgiving - I am excited beyond words that you are going to be with us for as long as you are!!! Wahoo!!!

Tina said...

What a great thought! It's really been on my heart lately to live more simply... more like Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Your text is awesome, your blog so very well put and honest, and I'm very proud of you in so many ways...Mom

kessia reyne said...

me too :/ and me too!